Conference for Women
Friday, January 25, 2019: 6:30 – 10:00 pm
Saturday, January 26, 2019: 8:45 am – 3:30 pm
Description: Joy is essential to our Christian life and available to give us strength for daily living. Join other women as we hear from inspirational speakers, spend time in worship and prayer, and fellowship with each other. Invite a sister, friend, or colleague
for this unique time of personal growth and connection with God.
Cost: $30, Scholarships Available*
*Please contact Nancy Willis at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding scholarships.
Registration: Register Online by January 21, 2019.
Main Speakers: Elizabeth Bowser & Joy McMillan
FRIDAY, JANUARY 26
6:30 - 7:00 pm - Check in, sign up for breakout sessions, coffee/tea bar, time for fellowship. (SOUTH ENTRANCE)
**Thanks to Iron Grind Coffee Shop for providing the coffee/tea bar this year!
7:00 - 9:00 pm - Opening Session; “Today I Choose Joy!” - Speaker Liz Bowser (WORSHIP AREA)
Session Description: As women we live with a heightened awareness of all the demands and pressures we face, to be productive and self-sacrificing. However, in our busy lives we often miss out on daily opportunities to experience “joy”, as a God-given gift. Joy does not come naturally to us, but we desperately need it. Liz will help us unpack this gift of joy and see where to find it and how to choose it - in the good times, in the mundane times, and in the truly difficult times. "For the joy of the Lord is our strength."
9:00 - 10:00 pm - Fellowship Time: simple craft & cheese board spread & sweets (Rooms 305-309)
SATURDAY, JANUARY 26
8:45 - 10:15 am - Morning Session; “Cultivating Joy on the Journey” - Speaker Joy McMillian (WORSHIP AREA)
Session Description: In a world obsessed with the pursuit of happiness, it’s easy to get caught up in chasing fair-weather feelings…and end up hopeless in defeat. Our God offers us something better; an abiding joy that remains steadfast and available throughout the seasons of life. While joy cannot be faked, forced or fabricated - it remains ours for the choosing. Join Joy McMillan as she explores the sweetness and resilience of this fruit we’ve been called to cultivate as we root ourselves in Him.
10:30 - 11:15 am – First Breakout Session (ADULT WING)
11:30 am - 12:15 pm – Second Breakout Session (ADULT WING)
12:15 - 1:10 pm – Lunch: Zuppa Toscana & Vegan Lentil Soups & Salad Bar (ROOMS 305-309)
1:15 - 2:00 pm – Third Breakout Session (ADULT WING)
2:00 - 2:15 pm – Snacks & Coffee Bar (HALLWAY)
**Thanks to Iron Grind Coffee Shop for providing the coffee/tea bar this year!
2:15 - 3:30 pm – Closing Session: Worship & Prayer
Saturday Breakout Sessions:
1. Messy Beautiful Friendship: Finding and Nurturing Deep and Lasting Relationships by Christine Hoover (Room 304 • 11:30 AM & 1:15 PM • Emily Schafer & Marilyn Shearer)
- Friendship is one of God's greatest gift. Join us to explore a fresh biblical vision for friendship and explore how to give and receive it with grace, gratitude, and joy. What is holding you back from developing and deepening satisfying friendships, from overcoming insecurities, self-imposed isolation, and past hurts?
No matter what season of life you are in, we pray you will be blessed by a new vision of friendship based on learnings from Christine Hoover’s book, Messy Beautiful Friendship.
- Marilyn Shearer moved to Michigan from West Virginia seven years ago where she served as a counselor with World Vision. Currently she co-leads the Sunday morning women's Bible class, serves as a group leader with Bible Study Fellowship, and serves as prayer coordinator for the Midland Christian Women's Connection. "I have been challenged in making friendships, having lived as an adult in eight different states."
- Emily Schafer loves getting to know people and learning about what they are passionate about. She puts that into practice with her position as the development officer at the Midland Area Community Foundation and other ways she is involved at church and in the community. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends too. In the past couple of years, God has opened up her eyes to the fact that she needed more sisters in Christ to help her see Him more clearly and discern the Spirit's leading in her life.
2. Fresh Out of Happy: How to Fight Back When the Blues Take You Down (Room 308 • 11:30 AM & 1:15 PM • Joy McMillan)
- As a nation, we’re more depressed, anxious and medicated than ever before. Many quietly struggle with their emotional and mental health and may feel isolated or judged from within the church. So, what’s a Christian gal to do when the blues bump into her happy? Join Joy McMillan for an honest, shame-free look at how depression and anxiety impact our everyday lives, and explore practical ways to fight back, protect your joy, and take back your life.
- Originally hailing from South Africa, Joy is a conference speaker, writer, graphic designer & coach. As founder of the We ROAR Project and Simply Bloom, she’s passionate about helping women embrace their stories, step into their true identity, and live out the lives of meaning they were created for. Joy and her husband have two children and live in Merrill, MI. Joy is the author of XES: Why Church Girls Tend to Get it Backwards…and How to Get it Right, and Penduka:21 Ways to Awaken Passion & Purpose in Everyday Life and her new release SOZO: Embracing the Hard + Holy Road to Wholeness in a Quick-Fix World.
3. Biblical Literacy: Study with Purpose
(Room 302 • 10:30 AM & 1:15 PM • Julie Franks)
- “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21). Our fast-paced world bombards us notifications and distractions demanding our attention. We have the opportunity and privilege of knowing our Creator on a personal level, why don’t we always run to God? The Bible can be daunting. Often times not knowing where to start or how to study is too great a barrier. Julie will provide an overview of Jen Wilkin’s book, Women of the Word. Her approach demystifies serious Bible study and prepares women to dive into Scripture with joy. Make it your own and make it fun, God will never disappoint.
- Julie is in a “season of rest” from her professional career in special education, focusing all energy on her three children, ages three, five, and seven. Additionally, she leads an online Bible study and manages a photography business as well as an essential oil business. She’s an avid MSU fan, professional coffee drinker, and enjoys baking and creative journaling in between her children’s busy schedules. She and her husband Justin have been attending Midland Free for nine years. Julie has a passion to see women saturated in God’s word and thriving in relationships.
4. Waiting Quietly in His Presence
(Room 303 • 10:30 AM & 11:30 AM • Barbara Knopp)
- Silence is golden. No other time has this been truer. The digital age makes it difficult to break away and sit quietly in God’s presence. When we do, we do all the talking! Barbara shares insights she has learned on her own journey to talk less and listen more when spending time with God. Discover God’s peace and joy that’s available to us in the stillness of His Presence.
- Barbara is the associate teaching director at Community Bible Study here in Midland. She has served in the CBS women’s class for 14 years in various leadership roles. She and her husband Roy have been married for 37 years. They raised two children and are affectionately called “Nana and Papa” by two adorable grandchildren.
5. "Parenting" Adult Children
(Room 306 • 10:30 AM & 11:30 AM • Kassie Andridge)
- Once a mom - always a mom, right? But what does that look like as you launch your children into adulthood without apron strings attached? How do you continue to disciple them from afar? How do you shepherd their hearts when they don’t live in your home? How do you invest, impact, and influence them once they have households and families of their own? Having not only survived (but thrived) during this season, Kassie will share God’s heart for your “Mama Bear” heart and how you too might thrive as you take a front row seat watching your kids “adult"!
- Kassie has been blissfully married to Jeff, her high school sweetheart, for 31+ years. She is a pastor's wife, mom to four grown children, and Gram to two. Besides having a front row seat to her growing family- Kassie also enjoys investing in others as a birth doula, high school youth ministry leader, and mentor and employee at Life Clinic Community Resources. She recharges by spending every minute she can with Jeff and traveling to see her kids who are scattered across the U.S.
More information about our Featured Speakers:
Elizabeth Bowser: She has served for the last 15 years as the Teaching Director for Community Bible Study in Midland, MI. She has been married for 34 years to her college sweetheart, Bart and has three married sons and four grandchildren.
Joy McMillan: Originally hailing from Southern Africa, Joy is a conference speaker, writer, graphic designer & coach. As founder of the We ROAR Project and Simply Bloom, she’s passionate about helping women embrace their stories, step into their true identity, and live out the lives of meaning they were created for. She is the author of XES: Why Church Girls Tend To Get It Backwards....And How To Get It Right, and Penduka: 21 Ways To Awaken Passion & Purpose In Everyday Life.
REGISTER HERE for the Women's Conference