There are many opportunities to become involved in our local community. Please see four areas below: Community Partners, Supporting Our Own, Adopted Areas, and Regional Church Plants.
Bridge of Hope GROUP Mentoring Program
Make a difference, one life at a time! Join GoLocal in empowering the homeless through a unique GROUP mentoring program called “Bridge of Hope.” This is a proven, national program designed to empower homeless women to attain permanent housing, financial stability through employment and life-changing friendships centered in Christ. GoLocal is in need of 5-6 additional members (both men and women) to join their Bridge of Hope team. Visit the GoLocal booth in the lobby to sign up or sign up online to the right.
Contact: Lou Mencia, firstname.lastname@example.org or Chris Caswell, email@example.com
Opportunities to serve with Pregnancy Resource Center, Open Door, Young Life or SpringHill. Sign up online.
Pregnancy Resource Center (PRC)
Description of opportunities to volunteer are listed below.
- Administrative Support: As needed. Copying folding, stuffing/addressing envelopes, project assembling.
- Bible Study Leader: As needed. Prepare and lead Bible study for small groups of women and their infant children.
- Church Liaison: Once/mo. Serve as liaison between PRC and the church, communicating prayer and other needs.
- Client Advocate: As needed. Work one on one with female clients in a peer counseling environment, offering emotional support and parenting education.
- Board Member: Individuals with the gift of leadership who are passionate about life and reaching men and women for Christ.
- Christmas Party: December. Coordinate facility, decorations, meal, craft and photo booth activities for our active clients.
- Fatherhood Support Mentors: Men who are interested in connecting with fathers to provide support and education.
- Food Preparation: Prepare, purchase, and bring snacks to Bible study, Board meeting, or Client Advocate training or Preparing for Childbirth classes.
- Healing Grace Volunteer: Women to lead a Bible study in a group setting for women who have experienced an abortion.
- Computer Assistance: Upkeep/repair of all computers and equipment.
- Maintenance: Miscellaneous jobs and repairs.
- Nurse: RN serving in medical clinic to provide pregnancy tests, crisis counseling and other medical services.
- Prayer Support: Prays with staff or offers special prayer support when notified.
- Receptionist: Answers phones, greets clients, and provides administrative support.
- Event Participation: Support fundraising efforts by hosting a table, joining/forming a team during the Walk for Life, participate in Baby bottle drive within a small group.
Midland's Open Door (MOD)
- Food Preparation: Help to prepare food brought in by Hidden Harvest for soup kitchen meals.
- Clean Toys: At the House of Mercy women’s and children’s shelter.
- Soup Kitchen: Clean, help organize, or serve in the soup kitchen.
- Maintenance and Repair: Assist with general maintenance and repair needs as well as small, independent projects.
- Clothing: Help organize clothing donations.
- Bedding: Organize and maintain the bedding closet.
- Miscellaneous: Many other ways for both individuals and groups to serve, depending on the talents of the group.
Long-Term Relational Opportunities
- Crisis Shelter Assistants: Open Door is in need of volunteers willing to commit a few hours per week to assist the Crisis Shelter staff in their daily responsibilities, while building relationships with the guests. This involves assisting Open Door staff in an administrative capacity when needed, as well as interacting with the shelter guests by helping them build life skills such as resume building, computer literacy, and budgeting.
- Relationship Builders: Individuals that feel called to form longer term relationships with men in need of Christian influence and fellowship. This would involve regularly serving at the Open Door (through painting, cleaning, and other facility maintenance) alongside shelter guests, building an impactful friendship and mentorship over time.
- Chapel Service Leaders: Open Door is looking for a small group willing to own one Tuesday or Thursday per month to lead a “Chapel Service” in the men’s Crisis Shelter, which would consist of both a worship service and a testimony.
- Bible Study Leaders: small group interested in leading a weekly Bible study at the women’s House of Mercy shelter (6 week commitment).
- Donate: To clothing pantry, food pantry, cleaning supplies
Young Life (YL)
- Young Life Leaders: For high school students (approx. 5-8 hrs/week).
- Young Life Mentor for Teen Moms: Three Thursday evenings/month plus one-on-one time with mentee each month.
- Young Life Committee Member: Monthly meeting.
- Young Life Prayer Team: Monthly meeting.
- YoungLives Childcare Provider: During club,1/month for 75 min.
- Provide a meal for YoungLives Club
- Provide a meal for Leadership Meetings
- Financial Donor: One time donation, monthly donation, camp scholarship.
- Summer Camp Mentor/Counselor: At Evart, MI or Seymour, IN location(duration June-Aug).
- Day Camp Mentor/Counselor: At various locations in MI, IN, IL (duration June-Aug).
- Midland Free Day Camp counselor, host home, donate food (1 week in Aug), >>Link to Sign-Up's
- Leadership Development Involvement
- General Maintenance: At MI or IN camp location (year round).
- Liaison: Between SpringHill and Midland Free.
- Prayer Support
- Nursing Assistance: At infirmary (year round).
Supporting Our Own
Contact: Jill Helgerson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Royal Family (RF)
- Mentor (camp/yr round), food, childcare, activity director
Mike Petersen/InterVarsity (IV)
- Prayer partner, co-lead Bible studies, mentor
Red Carpet Affair (RC)
- (Outreach to disabled), server, driver to Midland Free on Sunday mornings
Outreach Events (OE)
- Coordinate any outreach/disciple maker event
Contact: Tom Steel, email@example.com
North Midland Area (NM)
- Mentor/disciple: men or “hang out” on youth night
- Mentor women: Friday evenings
- Assist with Girls Night Out events (food, helper, childcare)
- Coordinate events (backpack, Christmas, other)
Grove Park Area (GP)
- Coordinate events
- Assist Summer VBS-teach
- Tutoring through Carpenter school
- Assist in Christmas outreach to Carpenter School
regional church plants
Contact: Pastor David Jebaratnam, firstname.lastname@example.org
Working with Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA) to identify/support potential Michigan-based church plants.
7221 N. Jefferson Ave.
Midland, MI 48642